Stefan Petrow’s history of the Launceston Mechanics’ Institute is now available for $10.
Thanks to the generosity of Emeritus Professor Campbell Macknight, who published the book in 1998 as part of the Historical Survey of Northern Tasmania, there are soft cover copies of Stefan’s very readable account of the LMI from 1842 to 1914 for sale through FOLMI.
Going to the Mechanics tells the story of the foundation of the LMI in detail, of the Launceston citizens who envisaged such an important cultural institution, created it, then maintained it for its first 70 years with little support from government. In 1860 they constructed the finest public building in the town to house its book and museum collection, and to provide a venue for most of the worthy scientific, artistic, dramatic and social events in the burgeoning settlement.
Order copies through this blogspot or contact: Mike McCausland email@example.com / 0497 258 761